Did you know that learning and educational content drive over a billion views a day on YouTube?
That is a jaw-dropping number — and it shines a light on a tremendous opportunity for companies that want to connect and communicate with people. Instructional videos, sometimes called how-to or explainer videos, should definitely be in your communications mix.
Video appeals to both the visual and auditory systems in the brain, making it an ideal medium for learning things. How-to videos are simply videos that explain or instruct.
How-to videos can be short or even micro, live or on-demand, highly personalized or target a broad audience. They can be purely educational, educational with some entertainment, or even educational with a tiny bit of marketing to encourage viewers to consider purchasing (though it is extremely important that these videos never feel sales-y to viewers, which can be an instant turn-off). These kinds of videos can provide step-by-step instructions for completing a specific task. They can also provide extensive background about why and how a product was built, and explain how to tackle a complex, multi-stage process.
Below are four tips for producing educational and engaging how-to videos.
Make your videos relevant
Consider your audience. Imagine them typing, “How do I…?”
into Google. What is of immediate interest to them? What educational information could you share with them that would be engaging and consumable in a short amount of time? How does it relate to your products or offerings?
You don’t need to spend much time explaining why or what, and most of your time should be spent explaining how. Get to the point quickly and focus on showing how. Eliminate any information that isn’t essential to the “How do I…?” question you’re answering.
Keep them short
While long-form instructional videos have their place, the ideal length for how-to videos is less than three minutes. Focus on answering just one very specific question. If the topic you have in mind can’t fit into a short video, it’s likely not a good match for an explainer.
Be both educational and interesting
Yes, these are instructional videos, but you want to engage your audience while you educate them. Look for ways to introduce something lighthearted or even humorous to keep things interesting.
How to use how-to videos to connect and communicate with your audiences with Socialive
Instructional videos such as how-to and explainer videos can help you satisfy the craving people have for educational content, while you also establish authority, build trust, showcase your product, attract new audiences and so much more. At Socialive, we’ve streamlined the production of studio-quality video, empowering everyone from video producers to marketing staff to easily produce branded, immersive experiences. Socialive’s all-in-one enterprise video content creation platform lets you:
- Capture HD video and audio content from anywhere — straight from your phone, tablet or desktop browser — with Socialive’s remote recording capabilities ensuring the highest quality content possible
- Create dynamic and engaging product content with cloud-based video production, including preset workflows to mix and match live, pre-recorded and screen share video with dynamic layouts and branded graphics
- Reach the widest audience for your product by broadcasting simultaneously to multiple channels
- Streamline content management with the ability to capture, store and access HD video in a secure, centralized cloud-based recordings library — with no manual file transfer required
- Collaborate behind the scenes during video recording, sharing talking points and other direction through a virtual Green Room
- Host content live on your site to drive traffic and maximize your product marketing
- Repurpose content in multiple ways to share in marketing, sales and training programs and more so you can extend the life and value of your content
How-to and explainer videos can be a crucial addition to your communications mix, helping you to inspire, inform and engage viewers. Learn how we can help you get started today.
The marketer’s guide to cloud video production
We surveyed more than 200 enterprise marketers to find out how they’re leveraging video — and what challenges they’re facing. Our e-book unpacks these findings so marketers can work smarter.