Much more than a problem of low morale or behind-the-scenes grumbling, disengaged employees cost U.S. companies a jaw-dropping $450 and $550 billion per year, according to Engagement Institute (a collaboration of The Conference Board, Sirota-Mercer, Deloitte, ROI, The Culture Works and Consulting LLP). Only about 20% of employees consider themselves engaged with work (Gallup). On the flip side, companies with successful employee engagement realize about 23% greater profits (Gallup). Working to improve employee engagement clearly delivers enormous business impact.
One highly effective strategy to engage employees at scale and demonstrate the transparent communication that’s often needed to address concerns is through employee town halls. Video presents an ideal way to deliver a virtual town hall that is accessible to every employee, with the added bonus of delivering an exceptional experience with enhanced production values and interactivity, both live and on demand.
What is a virtual town hall or all-hands meeting?
Also known as all-hands meetings, town halls are used by a company’s leadership team to connect with employees, share critical business information, recognize employee efforts and promote company values. Virtual town halls can help you maintain strong connections with employees and re-engage employees who have become disconnected from your company’s leadership and objectives.
Unfortunately, the challenging logistics of travel and planning an in-person town hall prevent many companies from holding them. This is especially true for companies with large-scale workforces and multiple business locations. Virtual town halls provide an effective, scalable solution for bringing employees together.
What makes a best-in-class virtual town hall meeting?
When virtual employee town halls are hosted online, everyone can participate fully from wherever they may be using their mobile device or laptop. Company leaders can actively engage with even the most dispersed teams, whether they’re working remote, hybrid or in multiple physical locations.
Before your town hall:
- Plan your agenda and look for ways to increase employee participation and discussion.
- Promote the agenda so employees can be prepared to share their input on key topics and ask questions that address their concerns. Also, if appropriate, it’s great to encourage participation if you ask employees for their input on the agenda.
- Tag the leaders and guests who will be presenting so that they can help you promote the meeting and encourage discussion.
During your town hall:
- Simulcast to the platforms, channels or pages your employees most prefer. Giving them options demonstrates that you’re paying attention to how they work and their preferred communications channels.
- Offer a specific call to action, such as a poll on a topic or a feedback survey to gauge how effective your event was from the employee perspective.
- Interact with employees in real time.
After your town hall:
- Create short-form, snackable clips from your live recording and repurpose it for your internal communications programs to reinforce key messages or to follow up on critical topics, including any survey results.
How to increase employee engagement using Socialive
To overcome the logistical challenges of in-person town halls, you need an easy way to work across teams to produce and present a dynamic, interactive virtual event for maximum impact.
At Socialive, we’ve democratized the production of studio-quality video, so everyone can work together to easily create branded, immersive town hall and employee meeting experiences that inspire, inform and engage employees. Socialive’s all-in-one enterprise video content creation platform helps you streamline every step of your process, so you can:
- Create dynamic and engaging virtual town halls or employee meetings with cloud-based video production, including preset workflows to mix and match live, pre-recorded and screen share video with dynamic layouts and branded graphics to keep everything professional and consistent
- Capture HD video and audio content from anywhere — straight from your phone, tablet or desktop browser. Socialive’s remote recording capabilities ensure the highest quality possible
- Streamline content management with the ability to securely capture, store and access HD video in a cloud-based recordings library. No manual file transfer required
- Interact with employees through live question-and-answer sessions
- Manage behind the scenes during the event, sharing talking points and collaborating with presenters through a virtual Green Room
- Repurpose content into snackable clips to share on internal and external channels to support brand building and talent acquisition
- Address employee communication preferences by broadcasting simultaneously to multiple channels
Increasing employee engagement by delivering informative, insightful and interactive virtual town halls can pay big dividends. Discover how we can help you produce town halls and employee meetings that get everyone excited and engaged.
Video-first solutions for the modern PeopleOps team
Key video trends shaping the future of employee engagement